Listen to the interview with Dr. Chain:
About this interview
The World for Sale: Money, Power, and the Traders Who Barter the Earth’s Resources brings to light the world of commodity trading from its modern inception at the close of World War II up to the second decade of the 21st century. The focus of the book is on the private companies and individuals whose business is the buying and selling trade goods. But far from being a dry recital of deals involving barrels, bushels, and tonnes; oil, grains and metals, the authors reveal a world of physical risk, financial speculation and immense profits through stories and histories that would not be out of place in an HBO or Netflix drama series. The authors, Javier Blas and Jack Farchy, work for Bloomberg News where Blas is an energy correspondent and Farchy is a reporter covering natural resources. Between them they have decades of experience writing about the commodities market. To quote the authors, "underpinning almost all our consumption is a frenetic international trade in natural resources." The World for Sale takes a clear and hard look at this trade.
Dr. Raygan Chain is an associate professor in the Everett Dobson School of Business and Technology. Her areas of specialization and scholarly work focus on the legal environment of business, managerial jurisprudence and constitutional law.
- Blas, J., & Farchy, J. (2021). The World for Sale: Money, Power, and the Traders Who Barter the Earth's Resources. Oxford University Press.
Call number: W'ford 2nd Floor 332.6328 B6441w
- The Portal for Sustainability Reporting
- Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance: Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) Performance Reports & Ratings
- Kneen, B. (2002). Invisible Giant: Cargill and its Transnational Strategies. Pluto Press.
- Mukherjee, R., & Banet-Weiser, S. (Eds.). (2012). Commodity Activism: Cultural Resistance in Neoliberal Times. New York University Press.
- Yergin, D. (1991). The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money, and Power. Simon & Schuster.
- Topic: The World for Sale (ISBN: 978-0190078959)
- Author(s)/Performer(s): Javier Blas and Jack Farchy
- Interviewee: Raygan Chain
- Interviewer: Frederic Murray
- Recording Engineer: Doug Reichmann
- Length: 00:39:09 (hh:mm:ss)
- Recorded: December 7, 2021